2012 is a banner year for Summit as we celebrate 30 years of advocacy and service for people with disabilities in western Montana. Originally founded as a department of Community Medical Center (CMC), our first services were offered in early 1982. In the beginning, we were able to assist dozens of consumers over the course of a year.
Since then we’ve seperated from CMC to become our own private, non-profit organization and have grown substantially. In 1992 we added offices in Hamilton, Kalispell and Ronan to better serve our rural communities. Our ability to work with our community has grown too: last year, we served over 1,500 people.
Although we are honored by the advocacy success and service additions we have achieved through grassroots efforts, community partnerships and hard work, we know there is a lot more to be done.
Where do you want Montanans with disabilities to go in the next 30 years? Please join with Summit to make a positive change in our communities. We made it this far with your support, and we’ll need it still to keep making Montana an even better place to live for people with disabilities.
Proud Moments in Summit’s History
1990 Americans with Disabilities Act passed
– Paves the way for people with disabilities to be equal partners in their community
1992 Summit adds satellite offices
– New buildings and staff for Flathead, Lake and Ravalli counties
1995 Self-Directed Personal Assistance Program established in Montana
– Allows people to direct their own self-care while staying in their own homes
1997 State Building Codes Statutes amended
– Requires exterior feature access so people can enter buildings
Self-Directed Personal Assistance added as a Summit Service
2003 Building Advocacy and
Learning Leadership Skills Class begins
– Youth with disabilities are taught self-advocacy and rights
2008 Youth Opening Doors through Advocacy started
– Allows youth to socialize and tackle community issues
2009 Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities passed
– Allows people who need it to buy-in to Medicaid while working
Summit Independent Living Center